PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does reducing speed in turbulence improve the ride?
Old 15th Jan 2014, 18:10
Prince Rupert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is all about the fear brought about by the " punishment culture " of the Koreans. Snooping by management via AIMS and foqa monitoring which at the minimum means a nasty e-message from the chiefs or maybe tea + bickies with the chiefs. Turbulence can easily cause speed excursion beyond the amber or red speed bands. This excursions are recorded in AIMS and are used by the ever diabolical foqa people to humiliate pilots.
Very true about the punishment culture of the Koreans. Years ago in another life at KAL, I had an 8kts speed excursion beyond Mmo/Vmo due to sudden drop in tailwind and decreasing OAT. Huge argument with FOQA chiefs ending with me punished with a SIM retraining. During SIM retraining, I tried enlightening Alteon instructor on what had happened was no big deal...well Alteon instructor toed KAL FOQA team line singing the punishment tune. All the expat instructors and " advisers " were of no help. Only one ex-LIP SEAsian expat stood up for me pointing out that any speed excursion less than 20 kts was a non event, and 270/280/.82 turbulence penetration speed is just that...turbulence penetration speed for SEVERE turbulence! The company brushed all that off. What do you know...next I was made to undergo a " non scheduled " line check! And my supporter ended up with a fail in his next PC for very dubious reasons! Go figure!