PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot & Aviation Industry in 2014 - a disgrace?
Old 15th Jan 2014, 12:05
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have experienced this at both of the airlines I've worked for and I too know it has damaged my mindset to the point where I gained very little enjoyment from flying. Bad apples and pilots with their own opinions are to be found in all airlines but the problem is 10 x bigger in the developing world. At my last place, I was deliberately partnered to fly with the same Captains again and again because other FOs refused to fly with them. One crewing guy even admitted it.

The point here is there are two distinct groups of pilots. Those have flown in an environment in which senior and junior colleagues are respected as qualified individuals and therefore trusted to do the right job at the right time (Northern/Central Europe, North America, possibly Aus) and those who have flown within environments where due to cultural deficiencies a senior will distrust a junior no matter what or no matter how capable that junior is (ME, Africa, South Asia, Far East, Latin America). Those who have no concept of this are lucky to be working for airlines with that do not have this problem.

I've flown in Turkey and southern China where the problem is huge. No matter who is sitting on the right, a lot of the time the guy on the left is likely to be a jittery, untrusting, ego maniac. You might remind me to man up and deal with it but it's no easy task adjusting to each dictator and following he's "way" only for the next guy to rubbish it and force you to do it his "way". Such an environment isn't good for your health or your career. The truth is there are a million ways to skin the cat as far as conducting a good approach goes and it's never the LIPs or TRIs/TREs that have the problem but the training captain wannabes (who funnily enough criticise the trainers). Unfortunately it's my belief that in certain airlines, these type of captains make up the majority and often you can tell how comfortable the cockpit environment will be just by looking at the name and nationality of your Captain.