PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky News reporting bizjet crash Jan 12
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2014, 09:46
Aphrican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you both. I have always assumed the designing approaches and misses is a difficult thing to do with a lot of subtleties involved that people like me will miss so we should be very disciplined about following the plates without exception and certainly never "make up" our own.

I have also always assumed that there will be fields that will always be VMC approaches only due to obstacles on the approach or during the miss which would render an IAP irrelevant due to the MDA that would result. I have come to understand that the miss is more critical to the overall design than I had initially thought.

My question is a bit more general though. Are there a lot of GA fields which would be eligible for an IAP where the cost of ground based systems would make them cost inefficient relative to traffic volumes but where a satellite based system would make the establishment of a GPS IAP cost efficient?

If so, the reluctance to establish cost efficient GPS based approaches is a safety issue that also reduces the usefulness of GA for those who refuse to build "homemade" GPS approaches.

The "S" in EASA is for Safety after all.