PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot & Aviation Industry in 2014 - a disgrace?
Old 15th Jan 2014, 08:16
talktomegoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aviation industry isn't a disgrace. Travel outside Europe to a clothes factory where workers get paid 1p a day and work 364 days a year if you want a disgrace.

Aviation is an honourable profession. It's fun, flashy and exciting.

But it's also very hard on your life. If you want the good, you'll need to take the bad as well. This is the only question you should ask yourself if you're considering whether or not to become a commercial pilot.

Ego plays a big part in this (and there's nothing wrong with a bit of ego). Everyone here loves to fly. We dreamt about it when we were kids. But why 'Airline Pilot' specifically?

- So we can impress the chicks/guys at the bar
- So we can impress our old school buddies at the reunion
- So we have something to talk about at parties

Otherwise, why not just become an aerial photographer or such like? Does size really matter to you that much?

If you want to be an airline pilot then become an airline pilot, but do it for truthful reasons. It won't make you a fortune - come on, you don't even need a degree or any business or professional experience to become one. We don't even need to be that intelligent - and I mean that in the kindest possible way.

I love this industry and I love the people who work in it. But I have, and still do work in other industries (where I make my money). And comparatively, despite being very capable and hardworking fantastic people, pilots are in general quite thick (I speak from personal experience and again say this in the nicest possible way!)

There is no requirement for long term strategic thinking, business acumen, financial expertise etc, so don't expect the same kind of salary that you get from jobs that do require these skills. The requirement you get is to work harder than you ever thought you would, cope with extreme pressure and worry, and try to survive in a turbulent industry where the companies' priorities are brand image and shareholder loyalty. So why should you earn more than a metro driver who carries 2000 passengers on their train on their own without a 'co-driver'? Justify it if you want it.

But overcome your ego and fly for the truthful reasons that you want to fly - then you will love your career!

Finally, my 'pprune disclaimer'. What I say or think doesn't matter. What you say or think doesn't matter. But our jobs and our industry is meaningful. So don't get rude or foul mouthed (and possibly fall into a catergory I mentioned above) if you want to challenge my comments or engage in a debate about this. Be intelligent. Be professional. Don't let us down.

I respect you all.