PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA lands at wrong airport.
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2014, 01:04
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
con-pilot:

Now, who here remembers Kansas City airport (MKC) back in the late 60s to the mid 70s before the new MCI airport became operational?

Those that do will also remember the Fairfax airport on the Kansas side of the river, just west of MKC right across the river from MKC with the same basic runway set up.

Now you talk about a trap for the unwary pilot/crew, that was it. In poor weather, with a crosswind from the west, when you broke out of the clouds anywhere from around one to three thousand feet with five or less miles visilibty on the ILS landing to the south, you were lined up perfectly with a runway at Fairfax. You had to force yourself to look left for MCI.

This situation trapped pilots private pilots, charter pilots, coporate pilots, military pilots, airline pilots and even a few TWA pilots whose home base at the time was MKC.
I dunno. I flew into MKC as a TWA F/O circa 1965. I was then based there in 1967-68 flying captain on the DC-9-10.

We were all quite familiar with Fairfax, and well knew the relationship of the two airports.

Any TWA flight that landed in error at Fairfax was before 1964.