PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Tax Man Cometh....
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2014, 19:12
TheWizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Tax Man Cometh....

First of all, military and aircrew. Tick. (This probably affects many on here)

I'm afraid it's that age old question about tax returns again. Having used the 'Search' facility and found some great hints and tips, the majority are several years old.

Does anyone know of any decent 'guides' for military folks for filling in the dreaded Self Assessment form?

Whilst the basics are easy enough to follow, it's the deductions and tax exempt allowances that always throw up a grey area eg subsistence claims, MMA etc

Being aircrew, I enrolled someone else to do it for me last year due to time pressures (some of my own doing!) but having looked through it again I'm pretty sure I ended up paying too much tax.
The reason for having to fill out the SA is due to letting my main residential property and being a 40% tax payer

ISTR a Powerpoint presentation that did the rounds a while back from the OC of a fast pointy Sqn somewhere in Scotland who claimed to have got a fairly hefty refund from HMRC after applying all the various exemptions and deductions. Anyone got a copy?

I am sure I'm not alone in scratching my head on this one so any advice, big or small is welcome.

Cheers in advance.