PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Cost Carriers…who is the best ?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2014, 13:16
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBK - Monarch are a quality outfit in terms of t's and c's. Whether they can stand the long term heat in the kitchen alongside easyJet and Ryanair is open to debate. There is no doubt a bunch of easyJet guys were treated badly and left to go to Monarch. If they enjoy it then that is great - we all want people to have good and fulfilling careers. The problems they experienced, however, are to a large extent a thing of the past. The easyJet New Entrant Contract is there for everyone to see now - a year on probation effectively on 'pay per flying hour' and a temporary contract. Then it is £38k and nothing else for year two but on a permanent contract. After that it is £44k + sector pay for two years then finally £55k + sector pay. If that is not what you want then do not come to easyJet - no one can say they were not warned. Also, Monarch is a tiny airline in comparison with easyJet and therefore the hassle factor will always be there. We have around 17 bases across Europe and that means sometimes you have to work there - some see that as a selling point, but again if that is not what you want then do not come here! Most people (other than Trainers working in the sim away from home) do not do more than a couple of nightstops a month (I probably do 5 nightstops a year). Time to command is really hard to predict in any airline. If it is 4 years at Monarch then that is great. It is probably around that at easyJet now, but I can only see than increasing. We all know that getting a command is being in the right place at the right time - that is almost invariably impossible to predict when you join an airline. EasyJet has been fantastic for me, but I recognise that different people have had different experiences. I like the variety of destinations (100+ destinations from Gatwick), flying new aircraft, a predictable roster pattern, good maintenance and a great safety culture. The downside is that you will work seriously hard and over many years that definitely takes its toll. Overall, there is nowhere else I would rather be right now, but that is only one view.