PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ministry of Defence pays 80 officials more than £100,000
Old 14th Jan 2014, 11:39
cuefaye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpha,

I well understand the points you make, and the need to attract high calibre individuals. But I'm really perplexed by the sheer numbers of people in public organisations earning such high salaries, especially with the apparent inadequacy of departments such as the NHS. I agree that individual competence is not necessarily linked to overall corporate performance but surely the managerial pyramids, and their cost, seem somewhat disproportionate.

I also follow the points made by Biggus concerning the wider civil service and private sectors. Except that I read of many cases where peanuts would have been far more appropriate!

Isn't it all quite simply a case of the increasing greed within our modern society? And a blindingly obvious example of the widening gap between those in more fortunate positions than others (I purposely avoid the use of 'have/have not'). Have not salary expectations become somewhat exaggerated (if not grossly)?

Little wonder that MP's want more. Let alone a Prime or Cabinet Minister - albeit these days, many of those are probably little phased by their low remuneration.