PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Identifies Causes of 747’s Landing at Wrong Airport
Old 14th Jan 2014, 04:11
aviatorhi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So now it appears that aviatorhi takes a quote from a news article that incorrectly paraphrases a bootleg video, and assumes it means Atlas pilots can ONLY do FULL instrument approaches. While desert185 may have made the same assumption, at least he made a reasoned inquiry...

The FACT is that NO such restriction is in place, and Atlas pilots still can do visual approaches and make approaches and landings to runways without charted instrument procedures. As I explained twice and Fr8dog correctly summarized, it is only the internal cockpit procedures that are "restricted". LNAV/VNAV and/or ILS backups are routine for most of us, and will continue.
Careful now, I didn't jump to put down other pilots, just what I perceived as a moronic restriction placed upon them and the overall detrimental effect that has on the skill set and command authority of those up front (not of their own fault).

If there's no restrictions that makes me very happy. Sounds more like it was a flight ops "reminder" and I won't get to do much snickering.

The squabble with Fr8, as far as I can tell, is completely related to him having what I will call whale jet syndrome.