PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2014 New Year Honours (merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2014, 21:04
NutLoose

Received 2,941 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Jimlad,

Perhaps I was bemoaning the lack of junior rank inclusion from the position of a "junior".
We're not all Officers here you know.
I feel quite sure their must be a junior rank more than deserving out there.
Totally agree, the whole system is abhorrent, awarding people OBE's and knighthoods for simply doing their jobs, one reason I refuse to call anyone Sir whatever... And have told them to their face

I myself am quite nonchalant about the process although I do disagree with individual crew members receiving awards in cases where the whole crew have been courageous. The common argument of all = nothing is unacceptable IMHO.
Yep, there was one I remember where the pilot and Nav were awarded the VC, the LAC gunner nothing..

Fairey Battle P2204 PH-K of 12 Squadron RAF as it might have looked in May 1940. This aircraft was lost on May 12th 1940 while attacking the Veldwezelt bridge at Maastricht. All the crew were killed but only the pilot and navigator Flg Officer Garland and Sergeant Thomas Gray were awarded VCs. The air gunner LAC Reynolds was not given any recognition.

That is SO wrong.

Flying Officer Garland VC, Sergeant Gray VC - 1940 - WW2 Talk

And I totally agree with this

Getting back to LAC Reynolds,it appears to be irrational that he was not mentioned in the citation and was not recognised for his bravery.This lack of appreciation of Reynolds still appears to be apparent as at Waddington,in 2001,I saw a parked No 12 Squadron Tornado bearing the dedication at the rear end of the fuselage "Garland VC and Gray VC".Its a pity that Reynolds name could not have been included.