PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAe146 Freighter
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2003, 21:35
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking of wind direction, I am minded of of the surprise that we got with our existing equipment. We have a 50 knot limit on the cargo door. When we first started, we used to go to great lengths in high wind conditions to park the aircraft so that the cargo door was downwind and really thought that we were doing the right thing.

After a while the manufacturers got to hear about this practice and threw their hands in the air with horror. They had assumed that we would park into wind. What they were concerned about was not the cargo door per se but the stress created on the fuselage structure around the cargo door when parked in high winds with the door open.

Put simply, if you open the door in a 50 knot wind whilst parked cross wind you create a structural weak point and could eventually end up with a very expensive banana! I have to say that none of us had considered this but neither had we been told that this was the way they wanted us to do it!

I would also have thought that putting a cargo door on a BAe 146 at the front on the right side would dramatically increase the risk of (at best) damaging leading-edge engine cowls with the hi-lo or (at worst) knocking the engines off. Mind you, we all know how careful hi-lo drivers are!

I would also think that it would be very difficult to load the forward belly hold whilst a hi-lo is in position. That is going to increase loading times.