PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The way we were - Ansett, TAA, Qantas
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2014, 18:54
kay1kay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A wonderful thread. I was born and grew up in Longreach and was fortunate to be able to fly as a youngster. I recall using the original Qantas hangar as the terminal. The various aircraft steps would be lined up just outside the terminal, as we waited for "the plane" to arrive. I still recall the beauty of the DC3 profile as it taxied towards the terminal and would turn to the right to line up for the steps to be wheeled over. Then we got the DC4, and they were so modern because the body of the plane was horizontal!. I recall flying with my mother from Longreach to Brisbane in the fifties, in a DC3, when we stuck turbulence, and there were tea stains on the ceiling. That same flight, we had an aborted landing as we were to land at Eagle Farm. In an aborted landing in a DC3, you knew exactly what was happening! Unlike in the modern A380, which is so big and quieter, it takes a second or two longer for it all to sink in.
Walking through an aerobridge to board is NOTHING compared to walking across the tarmac, up the stairs, and in the DC3, continuing the climb up the aisle! I still enjoy the ocasional Virgin/QFlink flights where I have to go out on the tarmac and climb the stairs.
By the way, Longreach Airport has had two terminals since that first one.
And the trip to the cockpit no longer happens. Sad sad sad.

Last edited by kay1kay; 13th Jan 2014 at 23:02.