PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2014 New Year Honours (merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2014, 18:40
Photoplanet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BATCO
Whilst broadly in agreement that what we have ended up with seems unfair, I do think that to some extent the award of LS&GCM to a high proportion of OR makes up for lack of other State awards. As a wild-arsed guess, I'd say that a greater proportion of OR with 15+ years of service have LS&GC than officers and WO of same service have been admitted to Order of British Empire.
I'm not sure what direction that statement is heading in, but the LS&GCM is awarded to non-commissioned personnel (and, I believe, Officers commissioned from the ranks) after completing 15 years qualifying service (without being disbarred for any reason).

The Long Service aspect most often means that the individual has been around the camps a bit, and is willing to put up with the current employment for a while longer, it is certainly not an 'honour' award...

So, whilst the quoted statement is factually correct, the award of a LS&GCM does not usually leave the recipient with the warm, fuzzy feeling that all of their efforts so far have been noticed and appreciated. It just confirms that the RAF have not got enough evidence to halt their career before pension time.

I have known some truly excellent non-commissioned personnel, many of whom would be truly deserving of some recognition, but because of their rank (at the time), it would have been a no hoper. (Has an SAC ever been awarded an MBE...?)