PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky News reporting bizjet crash Jan 12
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2014, 09:04
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the accident crew must have had some reasonable expectation of getting away with it, going VFR into IMC.

There have been a couple of similar accidents at Egelsbach, near Frankfurt am Main, so that it's not that unusual a thing to see happen, a bizjet crew hitting obstructions while trying to make it into a place without aids or even one with weather below minimums. You try it and get away with it, you are an ace; you divert, you are a putz, so ....

There was even a profile of an ex-CEO of a big German manufacturer that showed him boasting about how his crew made it into someplace or other when lesser mortals were all forced to divert because of bad weather, due to the force of his personality. The point was to show what a hard charger the CEO was, and this was in a mass-circulation non-aviation magazine so that his sheer stupidity went unremarked. (I think it was a guy running Daimler-Benz, profiled in Stern, certainly not the incumbent. I might have those details wrong; it was a while ago that I read the article, when it caught my eye since I am a pilot.)