PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The way we were - Ansett, TAA, Qantas
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2014, 04:10
outback aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Cockpit visits

As a contrast to your mates visit to the cockpit Centaurus check this out, all true (I was there!).
As a brand new comm. pilot licence holder (ink still wet on the paper) I caught an East West F-27 from Sydney to I think Maroochydore in the late 1970's.As was the practice in "those days" I asked the F/A if I could visit the front.When I was ushered into the spacious cockpit of the F-27 (not! little did I know that within 2 years I would be an F/O on a twenty ton dog whistle) I was introduced to the ancient looking Captain (probably about the same age as I am now) and the F/O.After some conversation it emerged that I had recently received my commercial licence, to my astonishment the Captain said to me (without a word of a lie) "Well you had better have a go!" With that the F/O exited his seat and I jumped in.Needless to say it was on autopilot at this stage but as we neared top of descent the autopilot was disconnected and I then commenced the descent by hand, I can recall that I asked the captain if I should reduce power as well as put the nose down and he said "no we go faster this way!"
All true and I am still amazed that it actually took place.I don't think it could ever happen now, sadly as the experience increased my enthusiasm to eventually join an Airline.