PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeking an honest opinion on completing CPL...
Old 12th Jan 2014, 22:14
Homesick-Angel

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are plenty of people who won't be happy anywhere, and more than a few on this site, but if you can steel yourself for the "apprenticeship" phase for a couple of years where you will work hard, maybe flying old rubbish aircraft for next to no money, and somehow do it with some semblance of a smile on your face, you can earn more than enough even in GA. You just have to be creative with how you put a career together, and there are MANY different jobs out there.

If you happen to be one of the rare few who enjoy instructing and stick with it, you can earn good money going down the ATO or CFI path in an academy or university and keep a good lifestyle as well (9-5/ no weekends etc)

I've probably got the hours for the airlines, but I still very much enjoy my GA job for its hours, flexibility and the variety of work I do . I'm nowhere near the wages of the legacy airlines, but I'm more than comfortable, still have a lot of fun (not every bloody day tho) and I get to fly a lot of different types of aircraft which require a lot of hands on flying which I like.

I haven't said never to the airlines, but at this stage I'm still happy where I am.