PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The way we were - Ansett, TAA, Qantas
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2014, 19:01
pppdrive

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
TAA Res Boards

Thanks, I'm glad some of you appreciate what went on in 'the good old days.'
Strange but most people look to the aircraft side and see the enormous advances made. I'm not a technical person, just going by the look of them. Few people though realise the huge steps taken on the ground to keep up with the progress needed for the industry. Although I started off in Reservations, the vast majority of my time was spend at airports around the world. I was constantly aware of the progress made from the aircraft/airport side of things but it wasn't till much later that I again became involved in using the Reservations sytem that I realised that the computers too had kept up with everything. Apart from providing loadsheets and general load control details, these same computers took over the basic message switching system (SITA) used by Res Offices. Ticketing was also being worked out and printed by these same computers. Virtually every stage of a Reservations could now be requested, confirmed and printed out on the one computer system. An amazing career and now in my retirement I can fondly look back at how it used to be. Paul