PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2014, 18:51
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings from Vancouver Island, Canada

I travelled Falmouth to Heathrow last month in Mr Hertz nice car, it took a little over 4 hours from my driveway to check in. I stepped out of the car at LHR and a nice man loaded my baggage into a little bus and then put it on a trolley at T5 for me. The Skoda Octavia cost me £58 and the fuel was £35 so just £93 for two people and over 80 kgs of baggage...easy as that straight along M5 and M4 motorways....that Ladies and Gentlemen is the competition.

Agree 100% TankerTrashNav, I was lucky and had a good run with absolutely no stops or delays, I would normally allow closer to five hours. As you rightly say the trouble with a flight Newquay to Heathrow is that after driving to NQY, parking,checking in, collecting bags at LHR, probably changing terminals it is going to take over three hours anyway and probably cost a vast amount more.
You must have been hammering it!

Have done similar from St Ives up the A30/A303/M3, but many years ago, and was definitely caning it. Was young, and, stupidly, it was my own car.

Was this was early morning with light traffic?

No clicking "gatso"s; no unmarked vans clocking your speed; no tugs from "plod", GROUNDHOG, think you were very lucky!

Was it a one-off? because nine times out of ten there is congestion and delays, and for some, stress.

Your point of road v. rail is taken.

BTW, have a great time in Canada.