PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PQ17
Thread: PQ17
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2014, 12:59
izod tester

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
GR4Techie, no the Torpedo Bomber crewmember rate of survival for 2 tours is not a typo. Note, that is the chance of survival for 2 tours that was 3%, not the chance of survival on the 2nd tour. Probably, as a crew became more experienced, their chances of survival rose as they figured out how to avoid the defending AA fire. In my fathers case, his strategy was to stay as low as possible after torpedo release and aim to cross the targets bow as closely as possible and turn away under the target ships bow when most AA guns could not bear. He told me the closest he came to being killed was on a torpedo bomber familiarization exercise with HMS Kenya when he misjudged the ships speed and nearly collided with the bow. After completing his first tour he was posted to a Beaufighter OCU where he assessed his chances of survival as being lower than on Ops - monitoring practice engine failure on take-off with the student in the pilot's seat and the instructor crouched behind him killed 2 of his friends. He took advantage of the need for Armament Engineers to transfer branches thus, probably, enabling me to make this post.