PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeking an honest opinion on completing CPL...
Old 12th Jan 2014, 09:56
KoolKaptain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do it! I made that decision in my early 30's and love my life! The problem with aviation is that there are a number of tossers who had mummy and daddy buy them a licence and feel that they are entitled to earn $350k flying for a legacy carrier, and everyone behind them should have to do it at least as hard (if not harder) than they had to do it. Many of these people who seem to infiltrate aviation have never worked in the "real world" therefor feel that they are hard done by because they "only" earn $130k pa flying as an FO and they are required to attend their workplace for a whopping 30-35 hours per week! Having done both I can say that being a pilot is a freaking awesome job and can provide you with a very comfortable income, and enough time to enjoy your lifestyle. A typical path now days for a hard worker is something like...2-3 years in GA, 2-3 years in a regional as an FO, then decide whether to take a command in the regional, or join a jet operator. The jaded and the entitled will tell you that you can't do it, you'll fail and won't be happy, but generally these people are the types who would still complain if you gave them brand new 777's, paid them a fortune to fly it and only made them work between 9 & 5 on CAVOK days. You are the only one who can make the decision. Go for it!