PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-200 V1 cut
Thread: 737-200 V1 cut
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2014, 05:31
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
The OP at his post #16 mentions that his simulator tormentor is 'failing' an engine at V1 minus 5 to 10 knots, but he is attempting to continue the take-off and losing control. As he appears to only have about 250 hours experience, it is not surprising that the combination of a cranky old simulator, instantaneous total loss of thrust on one side with probable rated thrust on the other, and poor visuals are conspiring against him.
With such low-time students I would be cutting them some slack by introducing any failures sufficiently below V1 to make it clear to reject the take-off. About minus 10 to 15 knots at the latest. Otherwise I would be waiting to hear the "V one" call from the support pilot before pushing the big square 'fail' button on the console. If that call was unreasonably early, or late, it would be time to freeze the box and have them agree to call it at exactly the number bugged. Surely the object at this early stage of training is to set clear parameters and not to confuse by flying around in some twilight zone?
Whether a company's SOP wants it 2, 3 or 5 knots early is for the line training people when he gets the job. If he already has the job, that should have been sorted out prior to commencing simulator.

PS: 3 knots is about the thickness of the white bug on the old ASIs fitted to most Jurassics, and those ASIs aren't all that clinically accurate anyway. In the real aircraft (not sim!) it's not unusual for there to be a 3 knot split between sides. So on a limiting runway it really depends on how you read your ASI.....Calling V1 a smidge early can't hurt, SOP or no SOP. By a 'smidge' I mean about 3 knots, which lacking any suggestion of calling early in the standard Boeing SOP, is within a reasonable range of reading error and will certainly ensure that the call has been completed by actual V1.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 12th Jan 2014 at 06:24.