PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - radar heading
Thread: radar heading
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2003, 13:41
Gerund

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spitoon

Many thanks for the reference. I was looking on the right site but was relying on the statement in section 1.6.1 para 6.2.4.2 of the ENR Section of the AIP that the RVAs "appear at the end of this section". Pity they are in the AD Section Thanks again.

Miserlou

I see that you are from Denmark/UK. Be very careful about the 'controller being responsible for terrain clearance' when receiving 'radar vectors'. (Althought what 'responsible' means I don't know; does it mean he will get into trouble when you have been flown into a mountain?). Typically, and confusingly, the good old UK has all these strange differences from the world of aviation worldwide and you may be thinking the controller is responsible for your terrain clearance when in fact he is not, even when giving you radar vectors!

If you receive a Radar Advisory Service in the UK the controllers will expect you to accept vectors or level allocations (possibly in IMC), but YOU remain responsible for the terrain clearance.

If you receive a Radar Information Service in the UK the controllers may provide radar vectors but there is no requirement for you to accept the vectors but, even if you do, YOU remain responsible for the terrain clearance.

So what does this mean? It means who cares who is responsible - check your own terrain clearance at all times. It seems that if a controller is responsible for terrain clearance it only means he will be a bit more careful not to lose his job!