PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Water ditching Caravan caught on a Go-Pro from inside
Old 11th Jan 2014, 13:12
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They didn't spiral in which is why it was so survivable.

The alarm I don't think was a master caution it was the stall warner.

And looking at the angle of the wing prior to splash down confirms this to me.

The pilot did a very good job of flying the crash and maximising the survival chances no doubt helped by the low stall speed of the aircraft keeping the wings level and controlling the crash so that the aircraft didn't start tumbling because of a wing digging in or one gear touching first yawing the aircraft.

And the only time I have felt like I was at the bottom of the food chain was up in scapa when an orca started pinging me and I was getting blasts of current with nothing seen in 1-2 meters viz doing a deco stop. Decided I would rather chance the chamber so missed 15mins of deco. Got called every name under the sun by the boat skipper for missing my stops until the fin passed the boat. Then stripped of dry suit I was made to lie on the deck with my legs raised in the sun with a full face O2 mask on and made to drink a half bottle of dark rum with a few cans of strongbow for rehydration during the o2 breaks. He didn't even charge me for the O2 or rum.

To this day I haven't seen this alternative method of bends prevention documented but as I didn't even get a niggle it does seem to work.