PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Water ditching Caravan caught on a Go-Pro from inside
Old 11th Jan 2014, 11:15
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its quite common for people to just disappear in water like that.

It doesn't need to be anything major to cause it either.

If they pull a lung full of water they just sink.

They are using buoyancy aids not life jackets which are designed and rated to support an unconscious body in a head clear of water position.

While scuba diving I know of 3 people first hand who were there one minute and then were gone the next. 2 on the surface while snorkelling and one during an ascent. 2 of them were found and 1 has never been found.

It can be a wave that gets them or they go into shock and swallow a lung full. A lot of people try and swim on their fronts while wearing a life/buoyancy aid unless its designed for it like the dingy sailing types it defeats half of the safety benefit your better on your back with your arms crossed across the front kicking with your legs with your head back. If your on your front you are just wasting energy fighting against its centre of buoyancy trying to do its designed job.

The lady from the pictures on the net was rather large and old and if she is like any other large elderly ladys that I know will have numerous medical issues. I wouldn't be surprised if it came down to an angina attack or some such if she hasn't already become fish food and they find her.

More to the point any word on why they ditched?

Me getting into a Single engine IFR/night/over water commercial flight you can stick up your arse.

Last edited by mad_jock; 11th Jan 2014 at 11:30.