PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOI into the 2012 Tornado Collision over the Moray Firth
Old 11th Jan 2014, 07:29
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
DBP: No I am not saying that. I am sure that the PF will consider anything that is presented to him on this matter. What I am saying is that it would be helpful if we knew what was in the SI report so that those of us who believe their could be "holes" could fill them. If the AAIB did that with Super Puma two years ago why can the MAA (MoD) not do the same for Tornado, as they did for Nimrod. At prestent the PF has a report prepared by the invloved party, and I am sure that the involved party would like to keep it that way.

I could post this here or on the Ft Lt Cunningham thread – same principles. What determines the direction of the Inquest (in England) or FAI (in Scotland) is the Pre Inquest Hearing (in England). This is when the Coroner is briefed and he decides direction and, hence, witnesses. Crucially, the Coroners’ Rules require all interested parties to be invited.

This is where the system falls down, seemingly frequently when MoD is involved. Take for example the 2007 Inquest into the 2003 ASaC mid-air. The tapes of the proceedings (MoD didn’t see that one coming!) clearly reveal there to have been pre-inquest meetings between Coroner and MoD, when it was decided who would appear as witnesses and what they would say. It was also “agreed” at these meetings that, for example, the aircraft were serviceable, when they were not in key areas. It was also “agreed” they were airworthy, and the subject would not be discussed, despite the main criticism of the BoI being they were not, again in key areas. (Both were linked to one individual, but MoD won’t answer questions from families. They were simply told both were serviceable and airworthy, the matter would not be discussed). It was also “agreed”, or the Coroner decided, that there would be no attempt to reconcile ludicrously contradictory evidence; particularly relating to the unauthorised encroachment into the CCZ of another aircraft, which clearly distracted the outbound Sea King. And so on. Perhaps worse, the individual named and blamed for the above failings by the post-BoI investigation was not permitted to give evidence; and MoD now claim this investigation did not take place, despite the records being lodged in personnel files and copied to all and sundry. The combination of all this prompted one bereaved father to shout out in court “What a Fix!” Quite.

To this day, MoD denies there was a PIH, but will not respond to questions about a pre-inquest “meeting”, simply referring families to the Coroner. For its part, the Coroner’s Office will not reply. That, I’m afraid, is collusion, denial of justice and denial of the opportunity to prevent recurrence. I could have chosen any one of a number of cases as an example, but the likes of Nimrod, Chinook and C130 are well known. Keep going Distant Voice. Aircrew will thank you eventually. Maybe.