PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check ride in a BN2 Islander?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2014, 04:56
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People disparage the Islander (and deservedly so) but apart from being profoundly unpleasant to fly it is also very easy to fly. Like a previous poster wrote: 65kts. It's about the only number you need to remember. I've never worked out how Vx, Vy, Vxse & Vyxe can all be the same number yet still have climb performance, but there ya' go - BN2s have been defying conventional aerodynamics since the prototype's first flight.

I've landed at night on a partially iced runway with 40-45kts xwind component and operated several times a week into a 380m strip. I've also managed a 220 kt groundspeed at 1000' in it (might've had a slight tailwind on that one, but only slight...

...slightly over 100kts, that is. ;-) .

It's:
* cramped,
* slow,
* noisy,
* has awful control feel,
* ponderous control response. I've needed asymmetric power more than once to yaw straight for landing before downwind drift could start.
* BN can't figure out how to connect the steering linkage without a North Atlantic cold blast also making use of the passageway. Thank christ for lots of pillows & blankets on ambulance flights. At least I could stuff a pillow in the footwell in cruise and use a blanket over my legs.
* the heater overheat CB is rather sensitive and prone to popping with more than 1/2 heat set
* you have to fight past the R.seat pax knee to trim but twist your hand into a claw to use the throttle friction next to your own knee,
* carby heat use is an essential engine power control (you get to have power......or you don't)
* The air filter is prone to ice & snow blockage (and lacks a drain hole for the melting snow). It's not fun at 0300 on a winter's night using your fingers to dig out the impact snow from the small space around the circumference of the filter.
* The aircraft can be approved for FIKI but leaves great ice catchers such as the undercarriage unprotected.
* Unfamiliar pax are like headless choocks thanks to the several doors available.

Probably more things but it's been 10 years since I last flew one.

On the plus side:

* If you need to take a fair load from a short strip it's hard to beat. Just be careful of the long main gear's leverage against its attachment points if you're using a rough strip.

* anyone getting in the RH door does a sterling job keeping that part of the cowl free of oil & grime.

* you can fly an ILS at cruise IAS to minima and still land on threshold.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 20th Jan 2014 at 16:01.