PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-200 V1 cut
Thread: 737-200 V1 cut
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2014, 21:41
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OK465
(The A-7 sim didn't have a motion system, just a 'G' seat. It was the early (Vital 4 I believe) visual system effects, latency and bilious, cartoonish display that created that lingering dizziness and nausea. ANG rule was you just couldn't fly the same day after a sim session, but ANG guys were tougher than the USN types. )
Hey OK465:

As memory serves (…and I’ve often complained that it doesn’t do that very well any more…) that A-7 “sim” was, indeed, a “piece of work." I was one of the “outsider participants” that was asked to come take a look at this machine … I don’t recall any specific concern with the overall quality of that machine, and don’t recall anything specific about the visual scene content, even though VITAL 4 (which stood for “VIRTUAL TAKEOFF AND LANDING”) was, at that time, a pretty “standard” fixture in the world of simulation. What actually stands out is my vivid memory of the latency numbers we found between control input and visual system response. A poor simulator at that time had latencies of between 500 and 600 milliseconds …this one was easily twice that and at times pushed 2.5 times those “poor system” values! That’s almost enough time to make a control input, go to lunch, and return in time to see the visual respond! No wonder the guys got sick!

...and I'll pass along your comments to my Navy buds for their enjoyment (?!) ... as I was a "blue suiter" myself.