PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peanut Alergies and Flying
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2014, 20:05
Radgirl

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks Lamb Chop for the extra information. It does seem to be a proper allergy, and I am afraid you cant grow out of an allergy to a specific allergen, although you may become less atopic generally with age.

In this case I think we return to threads that have been posted before, although with no definitive answer. As far as I am aware allergy is not a specific question but obviously the investigations have to be declared so it is a simple question: will the CAA allow a pilot to have an allergy? The answer is clearly yes - my relative has an allergy to one drug but sailed through his medical. Posters have suggested that it may depend upon

1 whether the pilot can be expected to avoid contact. Clearly yes if it is an antibiotic, no if it is sugar, but murky for peanuts. My patients who have dramatic peanut allergies - anaphylaxis etc - seem to avoid exposure with no problem. I have never had a peanut allergy patient on my intensive care either.......

2 the level of response. The existence of hives in itself is not worrying to me. Many of my patients get hives with intravenous drugs but it goes no further and my pulse does not rise. Vomiting is not an allergy and provides no further information, but oral ingestion may cause vomiting. If there was no wheezing or loss of consciousness I cannot see how you can differentiate this response from any other 'mild' allergy even though we accept that future exposures may cause a greater response

But at the end of the day it is up to the regulator. You son will have to pop the question, but I wouldn't take a refusal lying down

The interesting issue is what happens if you have got your medical and then get an allergy? You may get a rash but neither seek medical advice nor know what caused it. Most people would not put it on their next application, but even if they did I suspect no AME would pay it much interest in the absence of other symptoms.

Good luck