PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2014, 17:10
Danny42C

Nutloose,

Yes, static could have odd effects. One day I came back home, opened car door (but hadn't put foot on ground). Our dear little dog came bouncing out to greet me. Put out a hand to pat her, she jumped up - and a huge fat spark shot between my finger and her nose.

She yelped and recoiled as if I'd hit her, and wouldn't speak to me all day.....D.

teeteringhead,

Never heard of coolant leaks being a particular problem on the Merlins I flew behind (Mks. II,III,XII,35 and 266 - the "Packard Merlin"). Coolant trouble was usually operator-induced, notably by allowing the things to get to the boil on the ground.....D.

Fareastdriver,

Ah, we're at the top of the tree now ! My Lump Sum after retirement only ran to a Teleton ("Terrible-Ton" *) Cassiever in '74. Originally £105, they were clearing them off at £55 (x10 in today's money). I ordered one . A polite letter came: their Stock Computer had informed them that the last one had just gone - Sorry.

Just my luck, I thought. "Security Express" (or something like it) turns up in the afternoon - with my Teleton. (Moral: Put Not your Trust in Computers).

* Actually, it wasn't at all bad. The combination of open exhausts (at the end of 42 litres) and open cockpits had left us all high-tone deaf anyway (8,000 Hz top whack), so Hi-Fi was not much use to us....D.

Cheers to all, Danny.