PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Aviation School 2013 News and Updates
Old 10th Jan 2014, 12:15
paolylo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it's the long process, i think PAL is worth the wait. i hear they have been interviewing for Limited-SO positions from OMNI, but they'd still be behind in seniority to the general aviation flight instructors and the Av School graduates (SO's upon hiring). the fact that PAL is hiring from another school means they need pilots. this wasn't the case years ago when an Av School graduate would wait for over a year before getting a call from PAL because they didn't have enough aircraft and didn't have enough pilots retiring (or resigning) to hire new pilots.

if money is not an issue to you or your family, consider enrolling at any flying school (i recommend OMNI) for your CPL+IR and then an Airbus type-rating will get you an interview with any of the low-cost carriers. by the time an Av School grad finishes, an Airbus type-rated CPL+IR holder could already be a regular FO with PAL Express/Cebu Pacific/AirAsia Zest/TigerAir PH. not a bad deal especially if there are options after the contract expires.

with PAL, your career is pretty-much straight forward after Av School. SO, narrow-body FO, narrow-body Captain or wide-body FO, wide-body Captain. i envy my colleagues who went to PAL Av School because they'll get those opportunities without having to switch companies (unless they have a reason to do so). only the privileged can be an airline pilot these days. even Air Force pilots, unless they're jet-rated, have to wait in line flying ATR's or Bombardiers before they can fly jets for an airline here. flying schools only differ in these things: equipment and instructors. the Av School have doesn't have a problem with either. ditto with OMNI.