PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New US Rest and Duty Regulations
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2014, 06:53
sodapop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2€ cents worth.

Commuting is part of our business, for the reasons posted above and more such as I just prefer to live where I live etc. Being "fit" for duty is a nebulous term and checking a box doesn't make anyone more or less ready to operate an aircraft, a bus or an excavator.

Imho, commuting may or may not more make one more tired or unprepared to fly. In fact, it may actually help. I offer the following examples.

1. I live in the same time zone (or even 1-2 hours difference) as my base. I have a family or am just normally an early riser. I wake up at 0600-0800 and start my day doing "stuff" even though I have a 1700-2000 departure. I get on a flight to my base sometime in the early afternoon. Rest on the flight and relax in the airport or ops office prior to sign-on.

2. I live 30min - 1 hr 30 min drive from my base. I wake up as above and grab a quick nap at home in the afternoon. I then drive to work and sign-on.

Which person is better rested or more "fit"? What if the driver has to leave 3 hours early due to snow or traffic etc? Do I really get a good nap at home? Am I able to nap on the commute flight? How about a 2-3 hour train ride?

I submit that, as professionals, we owe it to our clients, our employers, our colleagues and ourselves to regulate our time prior to sign-on much in the way we monitor our health conditions. Should we call in sick for a headache, runny nose, pulled muscle, tennis elbow?

In addition, I also submit that commuting a day early and sleeping in a hotel or crashpad does not, in itself, contribute to more or better rest. I certainly sleep better in my own bed. I prefer that good night of rest and a "smart" commute.

Yes, we are tired sometime into the evening period but what about operating a pattern which has us legally rested in a company-paid hotel yet signing on at 0100 on our body clocks when we are abroad? We are tired and work through it. If you are unfit go unfit, plain and simple.

PS: Murexway, why did you change your commute policy only after upgrading to the left seat? All of us should be "fit" to fly and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate having your FO add to your workload by doing the same things you mention your tired CN did.

Last edited by sodapop; 10th Jan 2014 at 09:59.