PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada: Cormorant & Cyclone thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2014, 19:11
cdnnighthawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the October 2013 MHP RFI responses to Canada (which was the "secret" search for an alternative to the Cyclone) Canada would have begun receiving new build AW101s (i.e. 600 series naval variants with the AgustaWestland NFH-90 mission system+ installed) in full compliance with the Canadian MHP REQUIREMENTS SPEC, not later than 34 months after contract award (and much earlier if the Indian contract was to end up being cancelled - as it now has - rendering hulls available - and even earlier still if Canada greed to some pre-contract early long lead item avionics procurements). In other words, sometime during 2016 or 2017 at the very latest. That's a fact.

What's not fact is my conjecture..... All of the new milestones related to the latest Cyclone Rescue plan occur after the Canadian 2015 federal election. My view is that the Harper government has made this move solely to kick the Cyclone can down the road so that it does become an election football. We'll see. It appears that the can they have hoped to kick into a deep ditch has just bounced back onto the Canadian political football field much to their chagrin.