PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building USA - (Master thread)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2014, 15:37
Exiled Martian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hourbuilding Advice In Florida( Yes another proverbial thread)

Greetings Male, Female & Inbetweeners,

Lurker in need of some hour building tips here......so on that note please bless me with some gems! To summarise (after much ardous back & forth with the CAA/FAA over 3-4 months mind you!) I finally walked into my home two night ago after work to find the golden ticket (FAA authorisation letter) waiting for me on the dinnertable. Having given up hope after meaningless exchanges with the relevant orgnaisations, I have finally got the green light to go do some HB out in Florida

Abit of background info avid PPL'er / Aviator enthusiast from the midlands who is currently on a modular (No Mom & Dad bank account) path to the skies. I have a night rating to my name & will have 70 hours (P1) soon (5 hour shy of this feat). Since the weather is proving rather hit & miss I'm just looking to amass the remainder ( 30) out there after which I'll be coming back to do the rest (CPL/IR/MCC etc etc etc). I've already spoken to an outfit & made aircraft hire arrangements (Air America @ DAB).

Leaving 17th Jan 2014
Returning 2nd Feb 2014

My question to the more knowledgeable /experienced/ been there done that PPRUNE folks are:
  • What do I need to REALLY know/ Be AWARE off flying out there (will be flying form Daytona as thats where my FBO is based)???
  • Can I get those 30 hours within a 13 day period i.e is that a feasible goal to hold onto?
  • Equipment wise i.e charts/maps/ guides etc do I need to purchase these over here or can I just get them over there?
  • Overall any hints/tips/cheats would be much appreciated fellas e.g places to fly/tourist hotspots to visit (time permitting ofcourse)?
  • Any resourceful online links in relation to flying Stateside?
Thanking contributors in advance.

Right I'm off to go salvage a Gopro & renew that Skydemon subscription