PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Cost of a PPL
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2014, 12:09
The_Pink_Panther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dillon,

The question has already been raised about funding the flying after you get your licence, and that is a critical one. If (or, when, by the sound of it) you complete your training within budget, you can use what's left to ensure you keep flying very regularly immediately after getting your licence. Those first few months after getting your licence will be very important in establishing a good post-test pattern of flying. By the end of your training you'll be able to fly with the instructor's voice in your head. (I can still hear mine nearly a year on, like an invisible Obi Wan!)

I'm based in the UK and can only fly weekends and evenings. Weekends get taken up with my young family, so one of the first things I did was get a night rating to keep my hours up in the evening. If it's true that training in the US costs in dollars what is does in pounds in the UK, you should be fine. I'm in my mid-30s and spend around your budget on around 60 hours of PPL training, my night qualification, a nice David Clark headset, books, exam fees, and all the rest of the stuff, while holding down a full time job.

Happy landings ;-)