PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F1 Race prep.
Thread: F1 Race prep.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2014, 11:45
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks gents, great feedback!

Richard Grace at Duxford may also be of help - he ran three Cassutts for quite a while, he's a top bloke, knowledgable and helpful.
I know he did, I bought one of them from him!! Have asked the question if he's interested in doing some prep work but he's a very busy bloke with his business and flying with the Trigg team.

Used to own and race both slab wing and taper wing Cassuts as well as the Cosmic Wind. Remember paying a lot of attention to cooling boxes and ducts, using a lot of speed tape and being brave with Sensenich metal props when going through vibration nodes at 3200rpm (if my memory serves me well).
Thanks Marchettiman, I already have cooling boxes fitted I assume as a leftover from when mine used to race in the late 80's. Speed tape will be next then figuring out what I need to do with the engine and prop without spending megabucks! What engine mods did you do and what sort of race RPM's did you use if you dont mind me asking?
I note some of the Reno teams run blueprinted engines at 4300 RPM with carbon props, thats after putting circa USD 40k into the engine first and only getting 15hours out of it! I'm not planning on being anywhere near that league!

I also need to be able to fly it the 7hrs home after the event so dont want to destroy my engine during the race!

Regards

UA