PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peanut Alergies and Flying
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2014, 22:47
Lamb Chop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EASA Class 1 and peanut allergy?

I've looked all over the place for an answer to this, but so far it's been , so hope someone on here might be able to cast some light. I'm aware that other posters already working as pilots have asked about suspected allergies and renewal of medical certificates etc. but this enquiry refers specifically to submitting to the medical for the first time, with awareness of this particular condition. Can you even be considered for a Class 1 certificate with it, or would you face immediate rejection?

Brief background - my son's been talking for some time about a career as a commercial pilot and is just about to embark on GCSE options etc.
He's done some research and already has a few ideas in mind for achieving his ambition. However, the fly in the ointment is that some years ago he was diagnosed with peanut allergy. The fact that it hasn't even occurred to him that he might not pass the medical shows how it's become part of his routine...he manages simply by avoiding certain foods and carrying an Epipen. So far he hasn't had a severe reaction or needed to use the Epipen (touch wood!!!), but of course the condition can be potentially serious in the event that the allergy is triggered. Since EASA Class 1 is required from the outset in order even to apply for training (and, presumably, for any flying-related activities in the meantime), is his allergy likely to make this particular ambition a non-starter? The condition already excludes him from any type of military career in the future, though joining the Air Cadets is still a possibility (we think!).

I'm aware that entry to the profession is extremely competitive anyway, and I hate to crush ambition, but would rather do it sooner rather than later if this particular medical barrier really is insurmountable! Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Lamb Chop; 8th Jan 2014 at 23:08.