PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2014, 22:08
Warmtoast

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Danny42C

A couple more Moenchengladbach married quarters photos from my album.

Showing the whole house from the outside, and shots of the dining room and lounge inside. Outside photo shows the rotating aerial I erected for the TV and FM. MG being within service areas of Dutch and Belgian TV transmitters, reception of these stations with quite a few original English language programs and films subtitled in Dutch/Flemish and French made a welcome change to the German WDR and ZDF stations which if they had English programs, dubbed them into German. BFBS of course broadcast on FM Radio 24-hours a day I think.

The other thing I remember was that I was very much into HiFi in a big way and purchased a pair of Wharfedale 15-inch "Monitor Gold" speakers, probably the best speakers I every heard, but sadly Mrs WT wanted something smaller and less obtrusive, so the Monitor Gold's had to go, replaced by something smaller from the American PX at Wiesbaden which was considerably cheaper than the JHQ NAAFI prices. "Monitor Gold" speakers can be seen in the lounge photos.

MQ photos from my album.

"Now were they still dishing out petrol coupons in your day ? If so, can you remember what extra ones cost (Dm/Litre) ? ....D."

Certainly BFG petrol coupons were standard issue whilst I was in Germany (1972 - 1975). ISTR that when I arrived I paid about DM2.50 for a 10ltr coupon. With the rate of exchange when I arrived in 1972 at around DM12 = £1 Sterling it was peanuts compared to the full taxed pump price paid by Germans. Coupons were valid at BP pumps anywhere in Germany and at Esso stations on the autobahns.

The other perk apart from cheap booze from the mess was the NATO "Abwicklungsschein" for use when one bought goods from the German shops. This allowed an entitled buyer to purchase minus the Mehrwertsteuer (MwSt) - Value Added Tax. "Abwicklungsscheins" had to be purchased (a couple of DMs I think) from a pay office and stamped with a Unit stamp and presented to the shop, a minimum purchase had to be around DM250 or similar, but savings for high value goods was well worthwhile.