PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Chancellor's Autumn Statement; end of self employed pilots??
Old 8th Jan 2014, 22:00
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bob777 - what a lot of absolute revisionist drivel. There is not a single nation I am aware of around the industrial revolution that can stand proud in regards to exploitation. However, I would draw your attention to such places as the Cadbury factory in Bournville, Birmingham. Dare I say it, this was an example of Britain at its finest. Then of course there was the life's work of Lord Shaftesbury to destroy the slave trade. Another Great Brit. Incidentally, I was born and brought up north of Hadrian's Wall and, along with the majority of Brits, am 100% for the monarchy. Have a look at that mate - Confidence in British monarchy at all-time high, poll shows - Telegraph. Read it and weep! I am not sure if you are a jealous Yank or a messed-up Brit, but you are completely wrong on your history. You weren't brought up by Ed Milliband's Dad were you?

Anyway onto the discussion in hand. Sadly, HMRC have yet to bring a single prosecution that I'm aware of in regards to this issue. It is all very well some spokesman seeing they will not tolerate it, but they actually have to something to prevent it. We could start with Ryanair and work out from here. It is clearly a massive abuse of the taxation system that is totally ignored. Clearly if a pilot works exclusively for an airline he is a de-facto employee. It is not rocket science, but no attempt has made to tackle this issue.