PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are politicians finally beginning to 'get it'?
Old 8th Jan 2014, 10:09
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biggus,

Because of my continuing interest in the maritime surveillance capability gap, and because I am aware of the optimism from within the RAF (not from pprune) that an MPA/MMA of sorts will be procured, I have been looking into SDSR 2010 & 2015, Future Force 2020 and the workings of the defence committee.

This is how I understand it (the pub speak is deliberate).

SDSR 2010 was a short term hack to address political and PR issues, drafted on the back of a fag packet by interested parties with very fixed agendas. Anything difficult was kicked into the long grass, or covered up by bullcrap.

Future Force 2020 is a collection of ring fenced capabilities aligned to our security and foreign policy needs. Unfortunately, there is no commitment to fund it.

SDSR 2015 is.....**** knows. If you read the material, clearly the DSC don't know what to expect of it, so how can any of us.

Happy to be told I'm completely wrong, but please supply references.

PS

As far as I can tell there is no MPA/MMA in Future Force 2020, but again I'm more than happy to be told I'm wrong (or even that FF2020 has been binned, even though it is still on the RAF/MOD website )

PPS

There is no law stating SDSR's have to be held withing a certain timespan, but SDSR 2010 opened by saying it was too long since the last one and they should be every five years. After that good start SDSR 2010 plummeted downhill