PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New US Rest and Duty Regulations
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2014, 02:18
Murexway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was an F/O, the worst day I ever had was with a Captain with whom I'd never flown.

We departed a mid-US airport for the west coast approx 1700.

Enroute to the first stop, the Capt began to descend from cruise altitude without clearance, in order to make a published crossing restriction on the arrival. When I asked what he was doing, he insisted that we had to descend in order to make the restriction.

I repeated that we hadn't yet been cleared and suggested that he slow in order to make the restriction, once cleared. He snapped at me that he didn't need any flying lessons. A commuting Captain in the jumpseat had really big eyes.

Second leg (mine) was nominal.

Third leg, the Captain blew a level-off altitude while hand flying a circling departure from a major city, even after I reminded him about the restriction. I pushed forward on the yoke and leveled a hundred or so high, since he was looking at his side console, reading the departure plate. He never even saw the inbound heavy restricted 1,000 above pass directly over us.

During the subsequent night VOR approach to a mountainous destination, he got far behind in the descent while making a lengthy PA to the PAX.

The approach controller asked if we were going to make the field. I asked the captain if he had the field in sight and he said, "Where?" I pointed directly over the nose. We made the field, but just barely.

Once in the hotel room, I considered waking up a chief pilot, but decided to wait and see how he was the next morning.

The next two days of the 3-day trip were absolutely normal - like flying with a totally different captain. I asked him where he lived and he named a west coast city. He then related how on the first day of the trip he had commuted in on an early morning flight and usually got a hotel room for a nap, but had run into some buddies and had spent the day in ops instead. I calculated that by the time of the last landing he had been awake some 21 hours.

I decided then and there, that when I upgraded I would get my own commuter place (with no other crew) and always commute in the day before my trips. I made good on that decision and never, in 12 years as captain, commuted in on the day of my trip. It made for a much less stressful career.