PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick Airport plane (allegedly) lands without clearance
Old 8th Jan 2014, 00:00
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, here's a pretty specific description of the event.

Just for emphasis I'll reiterate...

An airport controller instructed the pilot to abort the landing because the runway was occupied by another aircraft that had already landed, National Air Traffic Services (Nats) said.

The crew of the Boeing 737 acknowledged the instruction to "go-around", but the aircraft continued to land, it said.
and

The crew of the Boeing 737 acknowledged the instruction to "go-around", but the aircraft continued to land,
Regardless of "expectations" after receiving "landing weather reports" and other such bunkum the crew were apparently instructed to Go Around. In my (admittedly limited) 15 yrs in UK London aviation I've never heard an ATC instruction to G/A given in other than an utterly authoratative, unmistakable form, typically, "Silverbird 123 GO AROUND!, I SAY AGAIN! GO AROUND!"

This isn't missable, it isn't mistakable, it isn't ignorable.

to what the Capt thinks he can see in front of him. How does he know what the instruction refers to? It could perfectly well be something out of his view or awareness. It's either a complete fool or a very self confident chancer that ignores such an instruction.

and will be required to justify his decision afterwards. Good luck fella....