PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Camp Bastion attack, September 2012. A spot of daytime tv..
Old 7th Jan 2014, 21:53
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
It would seem the forced retirements were not as uncalled for as some have opined.

I see it as someone was going to carry the can for the loss of the Harriers and the lives lost in the attack.

That being said.....some other careers should come to a screeching halt as well but at a much lower level in the chain of command.

Each Unit Commander has a responsibility to provide for physical security arrangements for his Troops and equipment.....there were some glaring failures in that regard.

Concertina barbed wire and other physical barriers are not in short supply in Afghanistan. Unit personnel can stand guard duty when not on their normal work assignments.....it is not easy, is fatiguing, and a proper pain in the ass.....but it has to be done.

Bulldozers and other earth moving equipment is in theater.....and could have been used to mold the ground around the Perimeter to afford better visibility from the Guard Towers and for other surveillance systems.

A proper response to the security survey would have addressed the weak points of the defense.

Complacency seems to be the root cause of the failures.....and the complete ignoring of the possibility of a small unit ground attack being one of the methods the Taliban would utilize.

What ever happened to a wise old soldier asking himself....."If I was the bad guys....how would I do this?". Then, fixing that weak point.

Also.....as I have posted before....the most important tactic to prevent such attacks is active and aggressive patrolling. The Report clearly points out the complete inadequacy of such measures and the lack of Commanders to properly address that lack of resources and capability.

It sounds to me like the Helicopter Units and the Osprey Unit had taken Squadron level measures to effectively guard their aircraft and personnel while the Harrier and other units had not.