PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick Airport plane (allegedly) lands without clearance
Old 7th Jan 2014, 20:00
Vlad the Impaler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

I'm certainly not condemning anybody. I'm merely providing some early devil's advocacy. I'd be very disappointed if the firm had issued some kind of press release in advance of the MOR landing on the doormat of SRG. I'm sure all will be explained.
My point was just that whilst I totally accept that the men (or women, aren't I inclusive today?) in pointy hats bear the ultimate responsibility when things go tits up and as such always have the final say.....There are so many things besides the obvious that could make the ATCO call a go around. At the end of the day a missed approach is a standard procedure practiced often so why would you put yourself and slf into a situation of potentially unquantified risk rather than the tried and tested missed approach, ask why later?
I'm not aiming this comment at this particular incident as I don't have the foggiest what actually occurred. I don't doubt that all concerned did what they thought was best at the time.