PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ A380 emergency landing in Baku due to low cabin pressure
Old 7th Jan 2014, 16:05
Slats One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This door issue has been around for a while

I hate to sound smug, but nothing new here -you've heard the scuttlebutt on this have you not?

The alleged door problems on the 380 doors are a known. Emirates has had at least one diversion due reputed alleged door issues on 380. This SQ incident may be the first deprez and descent though.

My last flight as pax on a 380 was with SQ in 2009 - the upper deck door I sat next to squeaked in its frame all the way from SYN to SIN to LHR. Of note, the doors further forwards did not squeak in their frames.

As turbulence increased and rear fuselage upper lobe flexing increased the frame rubbing and plastic-to-plastic trim squeaking increased also increased. I put a blanket into the gap and went to sleep. I raised the issue with SQ and was told 'no problem'. After all that is what you expect is it not - 'no problem'...

I note the pax saying he told the crew soon after take off and met with denial/dismissal. That is a human factor worth noting for SQ. I venture to rashly suggest that a QF hostie in the same scenario would have agreed with the complainant and handed him a beer to keep quiet - before telling the CSD or FE.

As I say, Emirates allegedly had a 389 door issue last year I think.

Seems to me there a little issue a brewing here. But lets not panic. Wet towels, dry blankets - soon bunged into flexing aperture.