PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Crew in Single Pilot Helicopters...
Old 7th Jan 2014, 15:53
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
I think that the regulations are obviously different in the USA where you don't need a type rating.
Yep, you can only log SIC time under the rules of FAR 51.51(f)

(f) Logging second-in-command time. A person may log second-in-command flight time only for that flight time during which that person:

(1) Is qualified in accordance with the second-in-command requirements of Sec. 61.55 of this part, and occupies a crewmember station in an aircraft that requires more than one pilot by the aircraft's type certificate; or
(2) Holds the appropriate category, class, and instrument rating (if an instrument rating is required for the flight) for the aircraft being flown, and more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted.
So nope, if you are flying an S-76 under VFR, the type certificate only requires one pilot, therefore only one can log the time, unless there is another regulatory requirement for another pilot. That may be in your "Ops Specs". And like before, I clarify this is in FAA land.

When you take a guy who's been flying primarily as a single-pilot and then give him an unfamiliar copilot, you are *not* enhancing safety.
I never said my guys were "unfamiliar"....the "other" pilots always go through basic aircraft familiarization and some flight training before flying the "other" seat.