PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenger crash at KASE
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2014, 14:03
Sillert,V.I.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lifeafteraviation
I would hate to see that type of logic pushed on to pilots because of a few irresponsible individuals.
I must confess I'm not too comfortable with the idea that someone out there is just waiting for me to commit some minor indiscretion so they can snitch on me.

But this kinda suggests that if you get away with it, it somehow isn't irresponsible, which doesn't sit very comfortably either.

I suspect most pilots sitting reading this thread in an armchair would think it absolutely idiotic to continue a steep approach in a jet with a reported tailwind gusting to 36kt, yet a professional crew sitting in the cockpit somehow made that choice. Similarly at Cork (which was a public transport flight), a professional crew made a decision to attempt and continue an illegal approach in a Cat 1 a/c when the weather was significantly below the approach ban limit not once, but three times.

Understanding why pilots sometimes make choices while airborne which they likely wouldn't even consider when on the ground would go a long way to explaining why this type of accident keeps happening.