PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solomon Jobs
Thread: Solomon Jobs
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2003, 18:00
Wright Brother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys...

I'm an aussie and I flew Twin Otters (captain, mostly single pilot)for Solomon Airlines a few years ago, (before the countries problems flaired-up), and found them to be a good company to fly for [overall].

They paid me on time, every time. Although it was not a lot of money, they provided free [good] accomodation which meant I could come out with some savings in the bank. As you can imagine, food and drink is reasonably priced in the Solomons so as a single guy you can live quite cheaply, (married with kids was tough when I was there as the Chief pilots young kids both got malaria, but recovered ok. I never did get it).

The aircraft were well maintained, and engineering were able to fix any problems we came home with without too much drama. The local engineers were skilled and trained in Australia. And when I was there they were run by an Aussie "Head LAME".

Generally the weather was good the whole year I was there. I only turned back (sh_t myself at the bottom of CB's without a nav-aid, GPS or any stormscope/radar) about 3 times in a whole year, and I flew 5-10 sectors a day, 5-6 days a week. (These were good odds in my books). Remember, there is only one VOR/DME, and a few NDB's (and I use the term loosley)throughout the entire Solomon Islands.

If you want to look at the airstrips you can see them in "Flight Simulator 2002" and [very realistically and accurately] get a picture of the islands topography, distances, etcetera, and you can go to all the airstrips I flew to on daily routes:

Henderson (Honiara)
Munda
Gizo
Seghe
Auki
Kira Kira
Parasi
Choisuel
Rennell
Bellona
Santa Cruz
Santa Anna

I hope this gives you a small insight into Solomon Airlines flying.
Good luck with your application guys.

Wright Brother (the one with the moustache).