PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Low Level Route
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2003, 17:55
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's just fine as it is. I've flown it on average probably more than once or twice a month for getting on for a quarter of a century. Sure, it's got busier in the latter years, but it still works OK.

Listen to 119.4 if you want, and KEEP A GOOD LOOK OUT. I've never heard of an air miss or 'close encounter' in the LLR from any pilot, ever.

Short of removal of the Manch zone (that ain't going to happen) it's the only way for VFR and non-radio traffic to transit north/south.

The old chestnut of dedicated frquencies has cropped up here before. As 2 Donkeys says, who pay for it and how would it be enforced? And what about non-radio aircraft?

I'm tempted to say that pilots these days seem to be trained in a 'high ATC' environment' - almost as if the radio were a primary flight control. But that might brand me an Old Git. I do, however, think it is leading to a culture of 'pilots looking to be told what to do by a controller', and losing the ability to be self-reliant.

As an illustration, please see my post 'They're down there because we're up here'.

SSD