PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TEM Questions
Thread: TEM Questions
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2014, 11:13
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Seems to me the whole thing is an arse-covering exercise (TEM, that is) designed to ensure your voice is heard to be mumbling the politically correct jargon into the CVR in case of a lawyers picnic.

Most pilots I am sure, look outside at the departure environment before starting the take off roll to in order assess anything of immediate flight safety interest. You don't have to make a song and dance of it. You simply use your eyes or look at the weather radar if you have one. There is no need to talk out aloud - just use your eyes and ears and make a mental note.

For example, when my instructor sent me on my first solo which was in a Tiger Moth at the all over field at Bankstown yonks ago, I lined up - saw the green light from the tower and had a quick look around for aircraft on short final and then opened the throttle.

I had real good eye sight in those days. In today's jargon I would have to mutter to myself through the Gosport Tube (Google it if you wish) to check the various Threats like the Moth just landed on the grass in front of me and about to turn crosswind before taxiing. I would manage that Threat by temporarily disregarding the steady green light until the pesky Moth had definitely stopped and not about to taxi into my take off path.

OK, todays student pilots are stuck with multi choice exam questions about Threats and Errors and how to manage it all. Thank goodness this writer is well beyond that stuff. I ramble....sorry!