PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shut Up Baldrick!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2014, 10:51
FrustratedFormerFlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the record, it was Gove who fired the first shot, criticising teachers for being overly-accepting of a version of events peddled by loony lefties in such as Monocled Mutineer, Oh What a lovely War and Blackadder. Gove failed to note that one of these was based on The Donkeys by that well know loonie lefty Rt Hon Sir Alan Clarke MP (Conservative).

Sir Tony Robinson's response that Blackadder was not a rewriting of history but a satire on events did not impress Gove, whose office elected to ignore Sir Tony's honour in their response that "Tony is wrong"

I attended a school with a proud history of preparing young men for (among many other things) service in the armed forces. At school, I took pert in a production of Oh What a lovely War in the school's great hall - the walls of which were hung with literally hundreds of photographs of former pupils who had been killed in WW1 and WW2. And after rehearsals I went out on the parade square with the resty of the CCF unit.

My school did not share the Secreatary of State's paranoia about the discussion in school of varying perspectives on events - indeed it encouraged it. Study, analysis and discussion were among the things the school taught best. Maybe our education system would be better served if we had a Secretary of State who shared those priorities, rather than this one's obsession with (Tory-approved) 'facts, facts, facts'.